Thursday, January 7, 2010

News Update!!!

I recently had a super-cool opportunity that I wanted to pass along to y'all...As I've mentioned before, I'm signed up with the American Heart Association's St. Louis Chapter, to be a spokesperson for their Go Red! campaign. The focus of Go Red! is to raise awareness specifically towards women, of heart disease. Since my personal experience with heart disease was life-changing, I want to put a focus among young women to care for their hearts now, rather than waiting until they're in their 40's and 50's---'cause in cases like mine, that's just too late.
Anyhoo, I've had a few speaking engagements so far, including a memorial walk, and a brief presentation to Macy's employees at West County. I've realized again how much I love public speaking, especially when it's something I'm passionate about. I get horribly nervous (I'd be stupid not to be--after all, it's an incredibly personal story to share with strangers!), but it's so worth it!
Based on this connection, I was contacted by the AHA and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, for an interview on my experience with heart disease and the life-changes I've made since my diagnosis. My interview was on Tuesday, and the reporter was super-nice; however, the story of my heart diagnosis is almost inseparable from my loss of Hannah, so he's decided at this point that he's going to come back for a follow-up interview that may focus on her. This interview, which will run in the health section, will focus on my heart.
February is National Heart Health Awareness Month, so the story will most likely run on January 21st or 28th (he's shooting for 1/28).
I am so excited...I've been so blessed with a great family, awesome church support, incredible boss support, and fantastic health care providers! I don't know if the reporter will have the room to name-drop everyone I mentioned, but good grief! In sitting there, telling the story, I was overcome with thankfulness for everyone who has held my hand through the last few years. There truly is no obstacle God cannot overcome! To have the chance to share my story, Hannah's story...to have the chance to give God the glory, to express my gratitude, is AWESOME!!!!!
The coolest part of the interview was when the reporter looked at me and said, "How in the world did that ventricle go back to normal?!?!? That doesn't just happen!!!" And I said, "Well, I'm not sure if you can publish the real answer...but by the grace and love of God!!!!" He also asked why in the world, after Hannah's death, did I not choose to end my life? I told him that I was raised in a Godly home, and that my parents taught me there was nothing in life that we couldn't handle if we let the Lord take care of it. I don't know if he will publish my answers, but at least I can rest easy knowing that I told him the truth!
This reporter was very candid with his questions, and I was appreciative of that--after all, I've blogged about everything, so why in the world would I mind if he asked me some uber-personal questions? He even asked how in the world David and I are still together after all of this! Hey, guess what? Same answer: Grace and love of God!!! And, I married an awesome guy!
Anyways, I'll post on here when the paper is published. I'm also gearing up to speak for at least one event in February, to promote heart health, on National Wear Red Day, on February 5th.
I'm so excited! Maybe it's the coffee on an empty stomach...Whatever, I'm just stoked to have the chance to give a testimony on the awesomeness of the Father!!! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive