Friday, May 20, 2011

No reason--just rhymes (and a little writer's block)

If I hadn't flunked music theory,
This would go much faster.
I can't quote the Circle of 5ths,
But I have friends who have it
Tattooed on their
Elbows (thanks, C.J.!)...
So,
Here goes.

It's midnight, when He comes to me
Spinning words around my head
And I just can't sleep
So here I am in front of
The keys I can play
And the music is in what I can say...
Of course, as soon as I sit down,
It's a total let-down.
My mind goes totally blank
To be frank
That key marked "delete"
Just might be the death of me
Because my screensaver
Just kicked on...
I have nothing to say.

If I go back in that bedroom,
As soon as my head hits the pillow...
Words
Will
Flow...

It's super-easy for me
To get caught up in the He-
said-she-said
Why-her-not-me
Triviality that
Trips me...
Falling flat on my
Face...
Grace
Catches up with me
When I'm trying to sleep
I think He's caught on
That it's the only time of day
When I'm quiet...
Silent...
Shh...
Then He finds me,
Holds me,
Hides me,
Intertwines His hands in my brain
And starts the game
of association in my
Head.
He says,
I say,
We say,
He wins
And I begin to laugh at the
Funny things
He links together
In ways only we
Communicate.
He speaks our own language
In my twilight.
Some might think
I'm crazy
But He knows
It's true...
He is, too.

Love knocks on the door of
My brain
At insane times of the night
And I'm not
Complaining because
It's our game
And it's how
I
Fall
Asleep...
It's how
I
Stay
Alive...
He plays
Hide-and-seek
with
His children
And He always finds
Us
First...

I don't mind
that I'm awake...
At midnight.
So
Is
He.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers