Friday, October 28, 2016

Birthdays and Blogs and the Joys of Naked Cowboys...



I just realized that I haven't posted since May. That's a really, really long time, but it's been a busy summer...
A friend of mine recently noted that I process things through Facebook posts. That's actually not true; Facebook statuses are a mini-alert message of what's going on in my world, but I wouldn't call it "processing." I'd call it "Miniature Lunatic Rants and Anecdotes."

Blogging is how I process. Writing in long-term is how I process. And when things get too difficult to sort out, writing is my method of dumping the paint all over the floor, and using the mess to paint a mural on the wall. This time of the year, there is so much to process that I don't even know where to begin.


So here I am. 


I’m only writing because this time of the year beckons it…this time of the year demands that I sit down and process the feelings that are lingering in the back of my head, those feelings that I’ve temporarily been trying to suppress with Chinese food and bad TV…But they won’t be silenced, and I really don’t want them to. You deserve the processing that is the biggest part of the remembrance.

I’m not overwhelmed in sadness, although it’s there. It rears its head when it’s least convenient, like right before a meeting with strangers that may ultimately determine the course of my employment. It rears its head when I’m trying to process delicate data that requires focus that I just don’t have; it rears its head when I tell my boss why I have to leave without notice…when I stammer out that “I’m suddenly not feeling well” and by her quick response, I realize that I must look like it’s true. These incidents are far from common, but this week has been hard….just like it is every year leading up to your birthday.


The weight of the memories is too much. I know exactly where I was, what I was doing, who I was with. I remember the feelings leading up to your birth, and the incredible, incredible joy…the photos my husband took are beautiful and painful and everything I could ever ask, and I’m so, so grateful in retrospect that he peppered my days and your days with the flash of the camera…Back then, I thought it was too much, but now? Now I’d give anything for one more shot….but would I?



As your little brother gets older, the reality of your story gets even more convoluted, even more difficult to balance out in my brain. I know without a shadow of a doubt that if you would not have died, he would have never been born. I know it, and therein lies both the confusion and the gratitude…I can’t figure any of this out, and I’m no closer now, 10 years later, than I was when you were here.


From time to time, the guilt strikes, along with the fear and the intense, soul-gripping anxiety that is medically untreatable. It is always a conscious effort to stop the derailed-train of emotions and get it back on track with prayer and focus. I know from the very bottom of my heart that your birth and death were part of God’s plan—that’s not saying that part of the plan didn’t suck and I don’t understand it—but it is freeing to know that faith that fills in the gaps when we can’t figure something out. I don’t understand why He decided you would be born only to die so quickly after. I’m still angry; I’m still devastated, and though those feelings are tempered with time, they’re still there, and I am comfortable saying that they always will be. Jesus knows how I feel; why would I try to hide it or act like I’m at peace with it? No parent is ever at peace with the death of their child—never. It’s the most unnatural event in the human experience, and it’s not the way life is designed.


Your birth (which nearly killed me—then again, so did your brother’s birth, so you kids are even) made my heart explode (literally) with happiness that I never thought I’d experience again…but I did!!!  I DID, and it’s because the joy of your birth infected my soul to pursue another chance at motherhood.  The joy of your birth confirmed what I’ve known since I was 3 years old: I am meant to be a mother. I was meant to be YOUR mother; I am meant to be your brother’s mother, and that is all I have ever wanted to be, second only to being a wife. You and your brother are my deepest heart’s desire, and for the longest time, I was so unfulfilled and empty…I held you, my soul was complete and my role in life had purpose…and then you were gone, and so was everything in me that had just been made whole…


Hannah, the emptiness in my life….

I can remember exactly how my days and nights felt in the days—weeks—months---years after your passing.
It’s so hard to juxtapose the fullness we say we have in Christ with the emptiness of the aching womb…

Having your brother didn’t “fix” me. He’s not a “band-aid” baby; he’s a Rainbow Baby, through-and-through.  He’s my Promise, my Answered Prayer, my tangible reminder that Jesus loves me, that God heard me and your father. I’ve never been more grateful for a human being than I am for you, your father, and your brother. The three of you make my heart so whole, so light…The reality of the Family Picture, of the incomplete nucleus of us, is heavy and confusing but also full of gratitude and realized hope…


Hannah, I can’t celebrate your birthday without mourning your death…without mourning the unanswered questions, the unrealized dreams. You were here, but then you were gone, and it still hurts. It still hurts…what else can I say? Christian rhetoric be damned; yes, I know you’re in Heaven, blah, blah, blah. I’m still your mother, you’re still a part of me, and we will always be connected in some inexplicable way. I will always wonder who you would have been…what you would be like. I look at nieces and other families and try not to think about dates of birth that come across patients’ paperwork…I look at forms that detail disabilities and think of the split-second where we thought you’d survive, but would be critically handicapped and think of how we would have stopped time to care for you…I pass the section of clothing for your age group in the store and still, to this day, think of the glitter we would have in our home. I saw a toddler dressed as a flamingo at a Fall Festival last week and my heart stopped…


And then I looked at your brother dressed in his cowboy-finest, and it started again. There is little time to process the things that threaten to overwhelm me when I’m chasing a pseudo-nudist/cowboy.


You led us to him…the love we have for you led us to him, and he is everything we could have ever dreamed, even on the hard days. I don’t know how or when we will tell him about you; you’re certainly no secret, but as he gets older, he will start to understand that those pictures on the wall are not all him…he will have questions, and I am praying even now for the words to answer. The answers we give now will set the stage for the deeper questions he has later on…for the times when the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy his self-esteem, for the times when he hears the whispers and the lies that say he is not unique, that he is not special, that he is “second,” or that he is a “replacement.” That day will come…I know it, because in my own way, I’ve been there. I hope that by the time we have that conversation, that he reads the words I’ve written to both him and to you that share the deepest love in my heart…that he understands the love I have for him, and how utterly unique and special it is. I hope he gets even the tiniest inkling in his heart of how grateful we are for his smile in our lives…of how blessed we are, of how great the reward is for the hard-fought Battle of Jericho. He is such a tremendous gift…I hope he understands, and grasps that there is no pressure in being who and what he is; there is only love and appreciation for him, and for the great, mysterious grace of God.


10 years is a long, long time; it seems like yesterday. Your birth was a traumatic experience; I didn’t realize how awful it was until I had your brother, which was peaceful and planned, and so exciting. In retrospect, I actually feel somewhat violated by my birthing experience and by a doctor who seemed more concerned about how “perfect” his incisions were, rather than the long-standing damage done to my body by symptoms that pointed in every direction to cardiac complications. I’m not angry with him; I’m frustrated with an industry that has made the most human experience of giving birth into a highly-marketable commodity that is a minefield of lies. Giving birth is difficult, natural, raw, and messy, yet we’re taught to expect a stylized suite in luxury accommodations that look lovely but fail when we look at statistics. Since your birth and death, the façade of American healthcare has been shattered in my life, and now I know: 1 in 4 pregnancies in our country end in loss. 25%--we don’t even rank in the top 10 countries with the lowest infant mortality rates (http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-lowest-infant-mortality.html)


Our nation is failing our children.


We’re facing an election over the next few weeks, and there’s a candidate who thinks you--you, my perfect, 34-week angel—do not matter. She thinks that babies like you are trash. I can’t even look at her face on the television. She even thinks your brother, at 36 weeks, is trash. I don’t understand this kind of disregard for humanity. That is a woman who has never known what you and I have known, what you and your brother have known. She has never known the love of a mother, not even for her own child. She doesn’t value life, and she doesn’t even know what it is. She couldn’t; she is blinded by deception. I feel so sorry for her; a life without love just isn’t a life at all. Maybe I’m being terribly judgmental, but how could anyone—anyone—look at your sweet face and not be in love?


I am sad for our nation and for the place we are now….for a nation that feels that we are an accidental collision of cells without purpose, and are therefore worthy of nothing but destruction.


You, you beautiful girl, were created by God. So was I. I know your brother was, and so was your Daddy. God cares for us; He loves us, and He sacrificed His own Son—I can’t imagine—so that we could all be reunited someday. This is my hope, this is why and how I breathe; this isn’t rhetoric or myths. This is Truth. Jesus is real; I know you know that better than anyone.


I don’t know what your life is like in Heaven, or if you remember me…I don’t know how you pass the days, or what you will look like when we meet again. I know I have my own beliefs of what happens to babies that die before they’re capable of making decisions, and I feel those beliefs were whispered into my heart by the Holy Spirit when I needed them most. I believe we will have our chance together, and I do not believe that has to make sense to anyone else.

I believe in reunion and restoration.

I believe the Word of God is true, even when I do not understand it.
I believe in the Hope He gives, and I rest my life on it, even when my life is not easy.

Hannah, I miss you. I miss the way you felt, all snuggled up on my chest…the way you smelled like Cheerios…the sounds you made, the way your fuzzy hair stuck out…your beautiful eyes and your gorgeous fingers and tiny toes that were shaped just like mine…I miss the way you looked at me, and I miss holding you in my arms most of all…I still feel you, even now, and I remember…I will not forget, and neither will anyone in our family.


I hope that if for some reason, you can sense me where you are, that you still feel the love I have for you and that it has never faded. I hope that you know you are thought of every day, and that I am so incredibly grateful for you.  I am grateful for the fight you put in me, for the faith you put into your father, and for the days we are living right now…I am so grateful for the life we have, for Jericho, for our family…you made me never give up. You showed me and your father what we are capable of going through, and what we have in each other, and every year that goes by, that gets stronger.

Most of all, I am grateful for Jesus, Who walked us through the darkest days, Who has grace for our anger and for our confusion, and Who truly does trade beauty for ashes. I am grateful that in death there is life, and that nothing is for nothing.

Hannah Elizabeth Gayle Cooley…I am grateful for every second I spent with you, so for your birthday, I am going to set my face and celebrate our time together. I never want any emotion other than gratitude to cloud your memory or my celebration of the gift of you.


I love you…

And I always will.
Happy 10th Birthday, Beautiful Girl…













No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers