Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Something to Think About

I didn't write this...it was sent to me by one of the matriarchs of our church...and I found it particularly poignant, especially with the way this week has gone for me...I hope this blesses you this week of Thanksgiving...

What Do You Need to Remember?

November 09
by John Paul Jackson

“Remember these, O Jacob,
And Israel , for you are My servant;
I have formed you, you are My servant;
O Israel , you will not be forgotten by Me!”

— Isaiah 44:21

November is the month in which many Americans make a point to remember. On Veterans Day, we honor the brave men and women who have fought for our freedom; we remember those who actively make sacrifices on our behalf. On Thanksgiving Day, we surround ourselves with family and friends and call to mind the things that are important to us, what we are grateful for: God, loved ones, our children, our houses, our jobs, maybe the realization of our dreams.

Remembering is one of the most important things we can do as children of God. David wrote in Psalm 42 that he would remember God. Therefore I will remember You. Why is this important? Because we tend to forget Him the moment something else grabs our attention.

We get caught up in the day-to-day issues of our lives, and the promises God made to us, in the quiet and secret place where only we could hear, slide right out of our minds. Obviously, what He said still exists — it has not been forgotten in Heaven. But His words can be very, very hard for us to hold onto, even if we have them written down. It can be difficult for us to remember who God is, who He has shown Himself to be in our lives, what He has told us and the hope we felt when He said it.

During this season, what do you need to remember? Do you need to remember just to relax? Do you need to remember not to worry? Maybe there’s a certain Scripture or promise that God wants you, and you specifically, to consider and hold onto this month. Perhaps it is something you have dismissed because of its apparent simplicity, such as Jesus loves me. He truly does. Though this truth seems like it would be easy to remember, many of us forget it all the time.

This very day, take a moment and ask God what He wants you to remember. What is it that He wants you to understand at a deeper level? The list below may be a good place to start:
I will not forget You, God. I will remember what You have done for me.
I will remember all the times You spoke to me when I was at the end of my rope.
I will remember all the times You have come through for me before.
I will remember all the times I was afraid and shouldn’t have been, because You worked it out.
I will remember that You are good.
I will remember what You have promised.
I will remember how You love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers