Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Patience in Prose...

Tiny onesies
Handled with care
Sorted and separated
Stored into bins
Anxiously waiting
To make their debut
On a child that will be here
Before we know it...
Anticipation...
35 years old,
And as the day grows closer,
I feel like I'm 5
And it's about to be
Christmas...
Can't wait to see where the
Father is taking us...
Can't wait to meet
Our son...
How did a teenager
Handle this excitement?
How did Mary
Trek through the deserts,
On an ill-timed census
While 9 months pregnant?
Anticipation?
Fear?
Terror?
Trust in the man by her side
(Who did not wear her ring)?
Faith?
The emotions she held,
That we believe she
Pondered in her heart--
Truly, she was special.
I sleep on a mattress
Designed for support and comfort
And still complain about my
"hips, my back, my neck;"
She slept on a camel...
In a barn...
On the ground.
Doctors will orchestrate my
Delivery
With medicine and antibiotics
And centuries of research;
She was in straw,
Surrounded by sympathetic strangers
And animals that were not versed
On hygiene.
This time of the year,
I can't help but compare the two...
I cannot watch the journey of
Joseph and Mary
Without thinking of how
Scared
Confused
Uncomfortable
Angry
She must have been.
Pregnant women in our day
Get some kind of "free pass"
For being difficult;
Mary would have had no such luck.
Culture would have demanded her
Subserviance
Politeness
Cordiality
Meekness.
I would have been
Beheaded.
One thing we have in common:
We anxiously await the birth of
A Son (a son)
Who will change
Our world...
Except
Mary's Son
Delivered us all...
My son
Belongs to Him.
The birth of a Savior
Revolutionized the world...
That birth
Led me to the grace of God...
The grace of God
Led me to salvation...
Salvation
Led me to forgiveness...
Forgiveness
Led me to faith
And faith has led me to
This
Point
In my life.
I have no idea what God has in store
For me,
For my child,
For my husband...
But to be like Mary,
Throughout the journey,
I will trust Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers