Sunday, August 8, 2010

Silly little answer to a silly little prayer...

One of the guys at church preached this morning about faith, and how God answers the prayers of a righteous man. He specifically used the example of how he felt led to pray that our church's sound system needs would be met, financially, and much to his surprise (since he really doesn't consider himself much of a righteous man), someone dropped off a check to the church specifically for the sound system, and voila, our sound system rocks.
I have been looking for silverware for about 2 years. Not maniacally, not diligently, just occasionally, when the mood hits, I've gone to Macy's, Homegoods, Dillards, etc., looking for a good set of silverware. The set when we got married has partially gone AWOL, and it wasn't of a great quality; it met the need, and now needs some replacement parts. It's really a stupid thing for me to even be blogging about.
I wanted a higher-quality full set for at least 4, of a decent brand-name (with a good reputation) and a weight of 18/10 (I don't know what that means, but that's what I was told I needed to look for). I didn't want to pay more than $40, and I barely wanted to pay that. I don't remember every praying for a new silverware set, and I certainly (CERTAINLY) don't consider myself a righteous woman (I'm a wannabe).
Yesterday, when not really even thinking about my silverware, we went to a yard sale...and there I found a 65-piece set of a full-service-for-twelve and still-in-the-box set of 18/10 Oneida, and purchased it for $7.
$7 (because David didn't want to give me a $10, and told me to see if she'd take less, which, to my surprise, she did).
This is a silly little thing.
This is a silly little answer to a silly little prayer...yet I am the type to find miracles in mudpuddles, so for me, this silly little thing is a hug from God.
You see, I know someone who doesn't think that God meddles in the affairs of men, and that there's this thing called "coincidence." Not a day goes by that I don't pray that this person encounters God in the details. I long for the day when this person gets an inkling of the understanding that yes, God cares about every little aspect of our lives, and no, there is no such thing as "coincidence". He cares whether or not you have a job, whether or not I have hurt feelings, whether or not our house is in disarray, or whether or not you have gas in your car. God not only cares about the details--He loves them.
And He's big enough to care about your details as much as He cares about mine.
I have a strange relationship with God. I find it easy to see Him in something as simple as silverware, but not so easy to see His hand work in the sadness of my soul. It's a strange juxtaposition, and one I struggle with on a daily basis.
The pastor this morning talked about jumping off of a platform of faith...What if we approached God without the baggage of our disappointments, and assumed He'd do what He says He'll do? What if we stopped trying to make Him make sense in our brains?
What if we saw Him in the silverware and in the sadness--what if we trusted Him with both the big and the little, instead of one or the other?
My silverware is a silly little reminder that my God can handle my heart...and that if He cares about the silverware/lilies of the field/sparrows, then He certainly cares about my hopes, dreams, and heart's desires, and that He doesn't forget His promises for me, even when they don't make sense to the human mind...
Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive