Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 12: Bullet your day

Okay, I THINK it's Day 12...Sheesh.



Today’s blog asks me to bullet out my day.
Seriously? (I find myself reacting incredulously to most of these blog “challenges.” Like, who has time to think these questions up? And couldn’t you come up with something more interesting? Anyways…)


  •  Alarm goes off.
  • Hit alarm.
  •    Repeat two more times, until I realize it’s 4:30am, and there is no possible way that I can avoid taking a shower today.
  •   Roll out of bed (which is difficult, as the pack-and-play is blocking my side of the bed.)
  •     Try to avoid kicking the way-too-excited-this-early-in-the-morning dog, which is nearly impossible, as she’s weaving in-and-out of my feet. She’s #60, folks. That’s not easy to maneuver around, especially when you’re bleary-eyed.
  •  Sneak up to the door of the “guest” room, where my mom is sleeping with my baby boy.  Grandma takes him one night a week, so that Mommy and Daddy can have one uninterrupted night of sleep. It’s a blessing, but I sure miss him…even his 1:30am kick attacks…
  •   Hit the showers, and begin the rushed-but-who-cares process of “getting ready” for work. If it were possible to shower and sleep, new moms would have patented the process by now.
  • Grab the clothes I laid out the night before. Pants too tight…begin self-deprecation…bad-luck bra, but I don’t care, because it’s comfy. And on a day like today, when I’m at the end of 4 12-hour days (10-hour shifts, 2 hours of driving), comfort is key.
  •   Remind myself that I have coffee at the office, and that my pre-made breakfast is in the staff kitchen. I’m starving, but I’m out of time….and money, so I determine that I will NOT stop for breakfast OR coffee.
  • 10.   I’m up and out of the door in 30 minutes. I’ve showered, gotten dressed, thrown on what little makeup I wear for the day (mascara), fed and watered the dog, unearthed my keys, grabbed my water bottle, and I’m on the road. I’m not going to say that I drive like Mario Andretti…but I do.
  •   The best thing about being on the road at 5:00am is that there are few people on the road, and fewer cops. Making my way to the highway usually means that I’m avoiding more deer than people (or skunks!). Most of us on the highway are in a rush, so the average speed is about 15 mph above the posted limits. I can appreciate that, even in my beater.
  •    Once I’m at work, anything can happen—I’m not going to bullet my day, here, because it would bore most people to tears. I usually like it; it’s quiet, I set my own agenda, and I’ve gotten to a point in my field where I’m fairly comfortable. I know certain things I recommend/say will not be respected, so I don’t get my hopes up. I also know that I bring a particular kind of organization to my field, and that’s appreciated by the people I need information from. Although I don’t always feel liked, I rarely feel blatantly DISliked, and I’m okay with that.
  •  At work, I need to figure out how to respectfully back out of certain conversations. I’m not good at it, because I don’t like to be rude. However, certain people have made a career out of discussing others, and I don’t like to get trapped in the net. Once you’re in it, it’s nearly impossible to extricate yourself; next thing you know, you’re implicated in a hot mess of gossip that you had no intentions of getting tangled up in. It’s best to back out of the conversation, and close the office door—this is what I am doing, today.
  •    I took off a little bit early today, because of a meeting I was supposed to have. I’m now highly debating that meeting, and considering cancelling. I don’t feel well; the anxiety over this meeting has escalated to point at which I know God is trying to tell me something. I think I will just go home, and get some rest.
  • Today, I will process medical records requests…work on credentialing doctors with a large number of insurance companies…do a LOT of scanning….call people who are too disorganized to remember that they have doctors’ appointments…attempt to straighten up my office, as it’s been a busy week, and it’s a mess…
  • Today, I will slug through my morning in a sleep-deprived, zombie state. I will drive to work by the grace of God, and I will appreciate that I have this thing down to the minute.
  •  Today, I will avoid having a particular conversation with my husband that has me at my wits’ end.  I will try to avoid saying harsh words and hurting feelings; I will try to express that it is a need to protect/prevent, and a feeling of helplessness, that has me so volatile. It is the injustice of the situation…the oppressiveness that entraps.   Today, I will probably cry at least once, if not twice, because I feel powerless…because I am having to lay things before God that I am tired of laying before Him. He’s not tired of hearing me, though…and I know He DOES hear. He knows our hearts, and He knows our struggles. He’s not deaf. I will look at my son, and I will remember that God keeps His promises. He doesn’t want His people in chains; He’s the Father of “Let My People GO!” We’re meant to run, free. Time for victory.
  • Today, I will go home and snuggle the sweetest baby boy on this planet; I will embrace every moment that I get to spend with him over the next 3 days, until I have to leave him again for my work week.  Today, I will try not to think about that, and will try to focus on the future we are building for him….
  •    Today, my week ends, and I am thankful. I’m thankful to be employed during tough times; I’m thankful that days like today are full of things to do. I’m thankful that I will hopefully get some sleep tonight.
  • So, that’s basically my day. I’m not bullet-ing it out—do you REALLY need to know that I brewed two cups of coffee this morning, or that my egg wrap was wonderful? Did you need to know that I’m out of Greek yogurt, and that I need to go to the grocery store, or there will be a Greek tragedy? I don’t think you care, and frankly, I wouldn’t, either.  Today will go faster than normal, and I couldn’t be more thankful. I hope your Friday is fabulous, and ends with a restful night’s sleep…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive