Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 17: Highs and Lows of the Year So Far...



Oh, wow….2013!
I can’t help grinning like an idiot!!!!!!!!
From December 31, 2012-February  2, 2013, I was in the hospital to deliver my son. It was the best/worst/scariest time in my life…well, that, and the first 4 weeks after delivery, LOL. I saw God move mountains…science tried to give me a heart attack…my body didn’t want to cooperate…
People wonder how in the world I didn’t go crazy during my “incarceration.” Truth be told, sometimes I look back, and I wonder the same thing. I think a few people may have thought that I was in there on some kind of all-expenses paid vacation.
Oh, that’s SO not true…I had wonderful, kind, compassionate nurses who listened to me when I couldn’t take the emotional struggles…nurses who prayed for me, who brought me tea and books; who encouraged me and who basically acted like Jesus with skin on…Those nurses are a gift from God, and THEY are how I kept my head on straight. I couldn’t have visitors; I had unrelenting migraines from the medication and from my blood pressures. I sat in a dark room, and watched “Bones” until we finally delivered in late January….THAT is EASILY the best day of the year! That’s the high of 2013!
My family came to see me around once a week; my husband, 2-3x/week (we live almost an hour away from the hospital). My sister, God love her, was there almost every single day. I think she would have stayed overnight, if not for her bird at home. She was a huge source of encouragement, and I’m forever grateful for the miraculously-calm nature that she brought to my stay. She probably doesn’t know this, but I spent a lot of my days anxiously waiting for her to arrive. We had disconnected prior to this pregnancy, for a few reasons; this brought us closer together than ever before. Seeing her with my son is a beautiful thing…especially as I have NO desire to take him fishing. Nope. She gets to do ALL of that foolishness!
Finding my lowest point is a toss-up: Not being able to nurse my son? The day I called the doctor, because I had to admit to myself that I was struggling with post-partum depression? The entire month of July?
Everything is an obstacle that is just waiting to be jumped. So, even my low points, in retrospect, aren’t that bad…although July about did me in. The gallbladder issues (2 surgeries) and the hassle from getting rear-ended Just. Plain. Sucked. 
Everything with JD is new and fresh…seeing his beautiful face at the end of my day is its own glorious high. He’s getting his first tooth…he’s learning to sit up. He doesn’t like to roll over, but he loves to stand—these are my highs. When I was in the hospital, I would tell myself over and over, “it’s allllll right, it’s gonna be SO worth it!!”
Oh, it is!  It totally is! I have NO regrets, only gratitude!!!
The lows of this year only have to do with physical pain and/or hormonal kerfluffles. …they’re SO minor in comparison to my beautiful boy…And every time I see that baby boy laugh at his daddy, my heart about bursts with love and joy…It has been worth it all.  2013 is, so far, one of the greatest years of my life…..(2013, 2006, 2005, 2002, 1995, 1994, & 1986 are on that list, for various reasons….)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive