Friday, February 28, 2014

White Pickup Trucks and #CallingOnJesus


Can I just mainline my coffee? I mean, seriously—lay open my veins, and shove that stuff in.

Ugh—Every day this week, as I’ve gotten into my car and started to pray (yeah, you’d pray in my car, too), it’s been, “Oh, Lorrrrrd!!!!” As in, “holy crap, it’s 5 am, and I just don’t want to be awake right now!!!!!!” Part prayer, part exclamation, and all exasperation: My mornings are no joke, people. I’m up at 4:15 (and will admit to hitting the snooze button at least once); I’ll take a few minutes for the body basics, grab some clothes (which, if I’m smart, I’ll have picked out the night before), and feed the dog. As I leave my bedroom, I’ll take a quick look around the room…my eyes will linger on the sleeping forms of my husband and my son, and my heart will whimper at the thought of leaving them behind (it doesn’t get better. I miss my baby every single day).

My socks MIGHT match my outfit, but frankly, I don’t care. No one will see them (at least, that’s what I tell myself). I might have a few minutes to do a few dishes or switch laundry loads; I’ll throw a small amount of makeup on, wrestle my hair into submission, and warm up the car while I make a smoothie. By then, it’s 5:00am, and I’m on the road for a 45-minute (to an hour) long commute…

It’s a good time to pray and focus on the day.

It’s also a good time to observe the world around me…

White pickup trucks are the bane of my existence. Most of the people on the road with me are fellow hard-workers like myself; these darn White Pickup Drivers tend to be overbearing, pains-in-my-butt. They speed up behind my compact car, headlights blaring into my rearview mirror. They’ve chased me once or twice, when I didn’t switch lanes in their timing. They’ve passed me, then gone in front of me to slam on their brakes, to make a point (good thing I don’t tailgate). They’ve shouted, honked, and been mostly belligerent to me and other drivers on the road. WPDs tend to be absolute jerks on the road, especially in inclement weather; they act like they’re the best drivers in the world, and the rest of us are only in their way. I’m singling out the White Pickup Drivers, but really, it’s Pickup Drivers as a whole, at 5 am. I’m not a fan.

These sentiments are not the same as my vitriol for the Female SUV Driver—that’s a personal, sexist rant against my own gender. But, unless you have 3 or more people in that SUV,  and have taken some kind of consideration as to the amount of space your SUV takes up when you drive/park, then you need to drive something you can handle. West County Female SUV Drivers are an entirely different species of bad/inconsiderate/dippy drivers. Someone should ban them to only being able to drive crossover/compact cars…or force them to hire chauffeurs. I’m also (you guessed it) NOT a fan.

This is only part of why I pray during my commute. Trust me: it’s for the benefit of the general population. It never ceases to amuse me when I’m in the middle of praying, and someone cuts me off. It goes a little something like this:

“God, thank You for today; I pray that as I go through my day, that I can live in a way that honors You-HEY-YOU-@$$HAT-GET-IN-YOUR-OWN-LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, sorry, Lord…I really need You to help me get through today, because I’m really, really tired. Lord, I really am working for the weekend! God, I ask that you watch over my husband and my son today-HEY, THAT-WAS-JUST-RIDICULOUS!!!!!  GET OFF OF MY BUMPER, JERK!!!!!!!”

And that’s how my drive to work/prayer time tends to go, LOL.

Good thing God has a sense of humor.

I love that Jesus accepts me as I am, but challenges me in a loving way to be better. Obviously, I have a long way to go.

That’s never more apparent then when I’m driving at 5:00am.

#CallingOnJesus

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive